Donkey Kong theories going beyond headcanons.

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Foreword

I've been enthralled by Donkey Kong games since I was five years old.

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! was the first game in the series I played. Around that time, the TV show aired as well and Donkey Kong 64 got released. Needless to say, it was a good time to be a fan. Even if I couldn't speak English to save my hide.

Later on I began drifting more towards Mario games and whenever DK showed up I dismissed him as 'die aap' (freely translated; "that ape") and never really cared much about him.

But Donkey Kong Country Returns, released in 2010, re-ignited my love for these games and its characters. I began hoarding the games and merchandise by the proverbial truckload and was now calling myself a fantard.

Fantardism isn't exactly something to be proud of, I'm aware of this. Disregarding that, my fandom escalated into fan art drawing, and eventually into fan fiction and theories. Theories? Yup. Incorrectly referred to as fantalk in the past, it's something usually called headcanons. But instead of just saying DK has a morbid fear of dinosaurs, I try to think up logical explanations for the things that happen in the games, or why they did happen. Or how they could happen. As someone who recently started paying attention to biology, I found out it could be perfectly liable to apply it to a game I love. I mean, c'mon. People write things like this all the time about things like Zelda, Mario, even My Little Pony, of all things - so thinking up why DK Isle came to be isn't that unusual at all.

Instead of discussing individual characters and game-related thingamabobs like I mostly do in BeJungle'd!, in this blog I will be discussing species, regions, culture, and evolution.

I hope it will be worth your while.

-- Renée 'Ribbedebie' Vianen

No comments:

Post a Comment